Monday, September 29, 2008
Tuesday, September 23, 2008
Or the fact that lint in my hair bothers me and my hair bonnets are escape artist...I find them laying under by bed in the morning laughing at me....
I'm not going to get mad at those little lint balls that I pick out of my hair or that I catch trying to get embedded into my locks, I will gently toothbrush them out and keep it moving.
I'm going to laugh at the fact that people say "But what if you want to change your hairstyle ?" Because I've worn it in a different style just about every other week, while they've had the same style since I met them..
I'm going to take my sweet time walking in the rain with no umbrella while other sisters scatter in fear. I'm going to remember that I was given this beautiful hair for a reason, and be greatful that I even have hair on my head to begin with. I'm going to be happy that I can have a simple yet plentiful maintenance plan with my hair and know that water is not my enemy...lol
I'm going to reflect on my decesion with locking my hair and know that it's more than a fad and that they ain't going nowhere
I will know that my options are only as limited as my imagination, which by the way is unbounded with creativity. I can only say to those thinking if they've made the right decision to know that they have and have courage to advance gracefully to the unknown domain of lockdom.
Thursday, September 18, 2008
I trained my self about three years ago to speed read, well not super speed reading but I can finish a book in about a day or two. I realized that I had not be utilizing this skill to my advantage and have taken on reading this book. I have until Sunday to finish it, because I have a million more books to go ! Anyway it's very good for those of you looking to get some things in order for your life. I always suggest some positive reading back up by your spiritual beliefs with these two things in retrospect you're always on the right track.
Law 1 is You control your life by controlling your time. Enough said right there. How often do we use excuses as to why we can't accomplish tasks, spend time with our loved ones,take a vacation or most things in general ? Number one answer is not enough time. When actually we have unlimited time.
The defintion of time in the dictionary says
Time is a continuum in which events succeed one another from past through present to future
So my focus for this week is to better learn how to control the events that occur in my life,instead of constantly reacting to the events. Granted there are things that we have no control over like sunrise,weather or death. However we can control how we react to these events that occur.....
I challenge you to focus how you react to events that happen this week, if you don't like your results then do something about it starting with changing your thoughts towards something positive.
Wednesday, September 17, 2008
Monday, September 15, 2008
I had a chat with a friend about the dreaded perm. I was explaining to him or at least trying to about how they were bad. We started this discussion over a "Just for Me" kids perm . I stated that it's a shame how people bring their children up thinking that it's okay to burn out their hair. He assured me that nappy headed children needed help, because their hair was too hard to maintain. It was much easier to just throw a perm in a child's head to make it more manageable. Okay by this point I was so upset, then he went on to say that his kids luckily had his good hair.
I asked him "So nappy hair is bad hair ?" and his response was " No I'm just saying it'd be easier on the kid and the parent if they had nappy hair to just get it permed !". Now if this brother was educated a little better about "our" hair, I'm sure he'd feel different. It's a shame how we bring up our children thinking that something is wrong with what they've been given. Just imagine having a child born with a disability and reminding them constantly that something is wrong with them, how is telling a child that the hair on their head be it not straight, is wrong, any different ?
How many women out there are longing to go natural but because of poor support systems choose not to out of fear. I've had sisters tell me that they can't go natural cause they're man doesn't like it. I don't mean transitioning with braids or weaves natural, I'm talking about my hair is 2inches long and I want to wear it out today natural....the Afro puff natural, the hair doesn't even fall past my ears yet natural...
How sad is that, Is it really that bad out there my sisters. Are we afraid of what's underneath the weaves and braids and wigs ? Is wearing our natural hair more than just a hairstyle is it seen as as statement, why ? Why can't it just be a hairstyle. When the caucasion girl next to you at work dyes her brown hair blonde do we think she's making a statement or that she just wants blonde hair right now. Why should it be any different for us ? Do we form our own prisons with self afflicting negative thoughts of our own hair ? What can we do to change this projection and help others ?
Monday, September 8, 2008
So here it ladies...
The rules state that you must
- Link the person/people that tagged you.
- Post the rules on your blog
- Share 6 non important things/habits/quirks about yourself
- While I was pregnant my husband told me that my stomach jiggled like Santa Claus' stomach.
- I used to be a size three(sickly), now I'm a nine. Thick and lovely
- I love to create things of art, paintings, jewelry, clothes, pillows just about anything.
- I named my daughter after the Ashanti people of Ghana, I have to remind her every now and then and explain why.
- It was supposed to rain on my wedding day, I mean really really bad, T-storms heavy winds, however my faith told me that our wedding would be just fine. Turned out to be over 80 degrees that day Sunny and clear. Worrying means you have little or no faith in God that he'll work out your situation no matter how bad you think it is.
- I believe that people will only go as far as they believe they can go. Everyone's viewpoint is different and it makes no sense to fight against what someone else believes. People will change when they believe they are ready for change. You cannot have a war on drugs, peace or anything else and expect it to have a positive effect.
Now with all that being said, I'm tagging the following people MUAHAHAHA *evil laughter*
Sheesh this was kinda hard I think I need a nap... I tried to tag people who have braidlocs and or are early in their loc stage. Hopefully I did this thing right...I was under so much pressure..lol
All in all keep in touch ladies :)
Friday, September 5, 2008
- Is there a natural hair revolution going on ? Maybe it's just in Philly but everywhere I go I'm noticing more and more women who've either taken the big chop and are rocking short cuts, have locs, or some other natural hairstyle. This is great !
- Learned some things about my hair. 1. it's not as dry as I thought it was. 2. The more simple the product the better, I got my white rain shampoo $1 and some olive oil $4 and call it a day.
- My hair is in different lengths all over my dang head. 4", 6" I think it adds to the uniqueness of my hair.
- Some of my parts aren't straight, and that's okay cause it's too late now. I can still rock a fly style with crooked parts.
- People are starting to ask me questions about my "little braids". How long did it take ? How will they turn into locs ? Was it hard to do ? Can you wash it ?
- The back of my head feels like it's locs than the front. I've read that in many blogs, not that I'm a blog stalker or anything.....ok maybe just a little.
- This hair is more than just a fad, more than just a style for me, it represents a whole lot more.
Twisted in back&side