Sunday, November 9, 2008

Granny don't like it

My daughter has asked for me to loc her hair on and off for the past 3 months since I've started my journey. I know most of you are like "So what's the problem ???". Personally I know my child, who is only 6 and who changes her mind like she changes her chapstick with seems like a new flavor every hour. My spirit is not moving me to loc her hair at this point, however we have talked about it quite frequently and in due time she will have them if she wants. Recently she told me how my grandmother told her that she would not want her to get locs. Honestly I was not surprised. I can't even escape a comment about letting my daughter wear an afro or afro puffs. First thing to come out of her mouth is "Oh my gawd it's nappy !" To that I always reply "I didn't know it wasn't supposed to be ?" I have had numerous talks about certain subjects mainly hair that really should not be discussed negatively with my daughter. Yet she is from the old school, the if it ain't white it ain't right school. I don't think my daughter has decided to not get them because of her grandmother's remarks. I've always taught her that what ever she was given was a gift, curly hair, big lips, wide hips whatever. Just today she asked could she wear her fro...I smiled and thought to myself how proud I am of her to have so much positive self love. It reminds me of how when I think I could be doing so much better as a mom that I'm not all that bad after all.

5 comments:

Titus 2 Thandi said...

I don't blame you-if she changes her mind, I'd hate to have to undo it after all that work!

Earth Mother Guidance said...

My daughter was 4 when I locked hers, but she was also surrounded by lockheads. I did go over pros and cons with her for about a month though. She is still happily locked. As a matter of fact, she is my main model on the website. LOL

NappiNish said...

I have a feeling that she'll get them eventually. Mine are here to stay so that'll be some inspiration for her. I've got to do the pros and cons ! Thanks

Unknown said...

Your daughter is so lucky to have you as a positive influence in her life. Good job, keep it up!

NappiNish said...

Aww thanks suga !