Thursday, June 4, 2009

Let's Get Church!

Okay two weeks ago after our long hiatus from our church home, we decided as a family to go back. During our hiatus I must say I felt disconnected somehow. I wasn't reading the Bible much and felt out of touch. I also didn't feel like I was setting a good example for my kids, which by the way is very important. My daughter attends a Catholic school and my 3yr old is in Pre-K so we need all the Godly instruction we can get!

This past Saturday we agreed that we would go to morning service which starts at 8am. Which means that all of us (2 adults & 6 kids) would have to get up at the crack of dawn get dressed eat some type of breakfast and be out the house no later than 7:15 to arrive by 7:45 and get good parking, which is quite a feat with our church's 4000 members of which 10-20% show up every Sunday. Again this isn't that difficult we've gotten used to herding the kids in a timely fashion.

So when I woke up at 8:30 I realized that we probably weren't going to make it there until 9:30 and by that time Service is almost over. So instead my Snoopy suggested we have Church at home. So out came the Bible and the kiddies gathered in our bedroom and read the story of the Great Flood. They each took turns reading and answered questions and boy let me tell you I was not expecting it to go so well. I'm not saying we'll make it a habit of waking up late for service but at least we have a backup plan for it now.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

That is so beautiful and inspiring. Get God any way you can girl!!

LISA VAZQUEZ said...

Hello there!

I think it is important for children to see that church isn't a place to go to once a week with Mommy and Daddy but that the relationship that they have with Jesus is an EVERY DAY relationship.

I love to encourage parents to have communion service with their own children once a week...sing a song to the Lord...open the scriptures and have communion. Jesus said "do this in remembrace of Me". He didn't say "do this inside the church only when the pastor is leading the process".

NappiNish said...

I agree it is important for them to understand and this is explained weekly with our children. For our family because there are more children who live with their mothers than with us, Sundays are our family worship and probably for most the only time that thy get a chance during the week to experience this. It's important for them to witness other children besides themselves in a different atmosphere worshiping as well. It's the joy of having a blended family, always a challenge.

Unknown said...

So sweet. :)